Saturday, February 16, 2008

New Board Game!

So, if you read this blog, you may remember a simple auction game I invented called "Meals for the Gods." Well, I have been marinating with that idea for a while, and I recently expanded the concept and a simple mechanic from that game into a full-on board game called "Food of the Gods."

The idea here is to grow crops and then sacrifice those crops to the gods to achieve certain advantages. The catch is that you will probably have to neglect other gods in order to do this, and since each god is responsible for certain elements of the game, you sometimes have to do without some favors in order to secure others.

The gods are: Time (responsible with actions per turn), Life (responsible for number of villagers), Harvest (responsible for crop yield) and finally a god of trade (responsible for price of temples/seeds/etc.)

Laura and I played through it once, and it was basically fun. Some changes were necessary, though, so I was glad I made the game on my handy dry-erase board! Here is a picture of the current, improved game board.

2 comments:

  1. So, Time = Cronos, Harvest = Demeter and Commerce = Hermes, but I'm not sure on life. I suppose the closest you would get would be the Fates. I'm sorry you didn't have fun. Maybe you can spice it up by having the neglected Gods take revenge. It would certainly fit the personality of the Greek Gods better than just passively not helping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, Life has been a weird one. I considered just making it death and doing Hades...

    The idea of gods taking revenge is verrrry interesting... I like it. Maybe I'll try and rework the game to include more bitter consequences. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete