Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sorrowful Halva
















Wrote this in Russia during comics and tea. In picture see a pitiful reenactment with me and Lee.
(It's supposed to be funny yall)

Today I bought a piece of peanut halva at the market. We had it with dinner. Tonight conor is upstairs already for some reason, and I went into the fridge and took, as if from some long forgotten corner of the refrigerator of my memory, our old sesame halva, and as I did I imagined myself eating it and sobbing.

"Why are you crying?"
"It's just so good."

Bu then I thought - I think now that it was weeping for my memories of yesterday - when we didn't know today, when we didn't know the other halva. We only had sesame and were content, but today sesame has become one of two halvas, and in a way, we can never return to it again - not as it was, not as our only - not without knowing what's outside. And so now sesame halva - the same piece - is both itself and the pain of its memory.

Just as when we leave Vishny Volochok I will miss the flavor of these days - the way it feels to be stuck with nothing to do but sit around the table with a hot pot of tea carving a piece of halva, and drawing together until late. Today our life here comes closer to a sorrowful memory. Just as my memories of my brother change with each added year - each new separation from that first state - one of only one I knew, at home together as children.

1 comment:

  1. (Conor speaking)

    Ah, Dzmappybo... Kak Xarasho....
    Lee has done a good job as stand in. I'm still out here in the great wide somewhere else, eating halva, this time with nuts and raisins in it.
    Good job
    yern
    cog the clog

    ReplyDelete