Sunday, May 29, 2016

Jesus Put a Curse on Me

Jesus Put a Curse on Me
by Steve O'Keefe

Jesus put a curse on me
said I gotta love you
as much as I love me

     -- when -- 

as far as I can see
you ain't worth but half o'me!
Still, I gotta respect ya
'til the good Lord perfects ya

'cause Jesus put a curse on me
said I gotta love you
as much as I love me --
not just now,
but for eternity

     -- when --

as far as I can see
you ain't no good!
Still, I'm s'posed to treat ya
like Jesus would.

I'd give up Jesus if I could

but Jesus put a curse on me
yes he did
yes indeed!

4 comments:

  1. This reads more like a song than a poem, which I like, given its spiritual nature. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new genre: the "Backhanded Spiritual"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I entered a short version of the this in #NPRpoetry (120 character limit)

    Jesus put a curse on me:
    I gotta love you as much as me.
    As far as I can see you ain't no good!
    I'd give up Jesus if I could

    ReplyDelete