Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Rhino Wear

I was given the task of converting this little sketch of the magnificent Cardboard Rhino into a t-shirt design. Here's the original source material.

Using that as the basis I did some sketches of my own. I felt I needed to give it a little more movement, and simplify it. Here are four of my sketches (I did about 8 or 10). The one with the arrow is the one I eventually picked.

From the sketches I did a few large drawings based on both the design I ended up picking, and a few of the others. I used a black Sharpie for most, but did a couple in brush and ink. Here is the original photo of the drawing I decided to use.

I liked this drawing best, but I also wanted to use the foot impact element from one of the brush and ink drawings I did. Here's a photo of that element.

I took both the above element and my favorite drawing into Photoshop and tooled around with them. I made the lines darker and thicker and put the two together. Here's the basic design, all cleaned up.

I thought color was a good idea, so I did a colored version, too.

I also did versions that would work on black t-shirts. Here they are:


Overall, I'm happy with the results. Dad will be seeing them for the first time on here, too, so if he gives me some suggestions I'll tweak it and post that, too.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing how you arrived at the final drawing, which is very peppy and I like it.

    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the path you're on. Both the simplicity and the “sketchy nature of the strokes fit the personality, but I think you could push it a bit further. The unbent front leg in your original sketch seems a better fit than the single bent leg, which may be more Rhino-like, but less cardboard-like. There’s also more detail in the eye and eyebrow on the original rhino, which makes it seem to have more depth. I think the tilt of the head may be a bit too high, as though staring into space. And the horn has shrunk a bit too much. Lowering the tilt of the head will give you room for a larger horn without affecting the balance. Finally, I would be curious to see how it would look if you gave the cardboard an edge, or some corrugated tone, or something to make it look a bit less flat. This might not look good at all, but I’d try it to see. I’ve added a version at the bottom that has depth added in two places, as indicated by the arrows.

    ReplyDelete