Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I Shall Sleep


It's so dark and I'm so cold and so alone.
No more chance of turning back or going home.
My head is aching. I haven't slept for days.
All possessions, I’ve cast off and set ablaze.

Demons. Lepers. Lions. Sheep. I've had my share.
Break my limbs. Tear out my heart. I just don't care.
Old man gallows, you can take me for a swing.
I won't miss a single person, place or thing.

Long ago I owned a mansion. Dined with kings.
Laden with all joys and pleasures money brings.
At my side the noblest love a man can know.
Beauty, grace, wisdom, compassion from her flowed.

Trumpets sounded when she came to be my bride.
Then one night misfortune took her from my side.
Curse the gods that drew her life back to the earth.
Buried with her all my love and hope and mirth.

Cast my body in the river, dark and clear.   
Let the streams drown all my screams where none can hear.
I’ll sink low as gentle waters fill my chest.
In the deep, I shall sleep and finally rest.


2 comments:

  1. A number of your postings on this blog seem to have a strange and unexpected significance, as though you were semi-consciously channeling the broad undercurrents that flow through the hearts of the people in general. Sometimes this is uplifting and sometimes full of despair. It occurs to me that this talent could develop into genuine, deep spiritual vision in the setting of the Orthodox spiritual discipline. Another way of saying it- no offense- you are less of an atheist than you think...

    Just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nothing, just think about how loudly he blows his nose.

    ReplyDelete